Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rocking Horses

A few years back - six years I think, I helped a fellow out of a jam.  He had someone carve a rocking horse for a friend of his that didn't turn out very well.  He asked me if I could repair it.  Of course I said yes.  This little bay rocking horse is the result. It has a body length of about 22".  It is colored to match the friends real horse named "PR".

Depending on the size and design of the rocking horse, they compete with rocking horses made all over the world selling from between $3,500.00 on up to $25,000.00 or so.


The rework of this rocking horse turned out well enough that I was asked if I would produce breed specific rocking horses that he could market. The following photos are of a couple of the breed specific rocking horses I carved for him.


This rocking horse is a thoroughbred.  It has a body length of 5'.  The horse and rocker are made of clear alder wood.  The horse has real horse hair.  Thr bridel is leather made to fit.  The rocking horse logo on the rocker is my design as well.



The next two rocking horses I made were Friesians.  They had a body length of 44".  They are made of alder wood and colored with stain.  They have real horse hair, and the saddles and bridels were made to fit.  They were sold, one to a breeder in Salt Lake City, and the other to someone in California.  Here is a photo of the head. to show some detail.



Next came a couple of american saddlebred rocking horses.



There were two of these rocking horses.  They are made of alder wood and sold to the American Saddlebred Museum back east.  This photo is of the first to be stained before the mein and tail were added.

It was at about the time I was beginning the carving of some quarter horses that I stopped making rocking horses for this fellow.  I realized he had been dishonest with me by taking advantage of my trust.  A couple of years later I created four of the following rocking horses.  They are patterned after a walking horse.


Two of the horses were colored bay and two were colored buckskin.  They are made of alder wood with bodies that are 24" long from chest to rump.  They have real horse hair as well.  I sold one of the bays and my children would like me to make some more so each of them can have one for their families.  My grandkids love to ride them.

3 comments:

Julia said...

We are looking for to buy a bay saddlebred rocking horse. Do you have any available? What is the average cost for one of your rocking horses?

Please contact me with additional information. juliadwarren@gmail.com

Thank you!

Lori said...

I am trying to find a Friesian wood rocking horse. Are you still making them?

Lori Potter

Mary M said...

These are incredible...if you were to post to Facebook or WordPress I am sure you will have more business flooding in than you can handle.